Since September 2008, I have led and taught both History and Theory courses and Design Studio at BA level and led and taught critical context and culture courses at MArch and Postgraduate level (ResM and MPhil/PhD).
Current PG supervision:
– PhD supervisor [DoS]: Mapping Amman’s urban resilience: tensions of morphological, and social dimensions, with a focus on the impact of urban refugees on the city between 1948 and 2018 by Nadeen Albitar [ expected completion January 2020].
– PhD supervisor [DoS]: Radical Rivers: Blue Spaces for the 21st Century by Sally Sutton [expected completion December 2019].
– PhD supervisor [DoS]: Arhitectura 1950 –1989. Interstitial Spaces of Communist Romanian Architecture by Ioana Popovici [expected completion July 2018].
– PhD supervisor [2nd]: Play Dynamics: participatory/ dynamic architecture as an instrument for social activism by Alejandro Quinteros,Planetary Collegium [expected completion October 2019].
– PhD supervisor [2nd]: Re-Imagine Your Town: Co created archives of community urban visions by Becalelis Brodskis, 3D3 Centre for Doctoral Training [expected completion October 2019].
– PhD supervisor [2nd]: The aesthetics of the archive by Coral Manton, 3D3 Centre for Doctoral Training [expected completion September 2018].
– PhD supervisor [3rd]: The Impact of Nostalgia on Media Form: the Video game by James Sweeting [expected completion 2020].
Research degrees awarded to supervised students:
– In and Out of Memory: Exploring the tension between remembering and forgetting when recalling 9/11, a traumatic event by Anna Walker [Completed PhD August 2017].
– Post-Structural and Post Colonial Critique of Utopian Ideas by Richard Bower [completed PhD January 2015].
– Participatory Design in Spatial Practice by Alex Lorimer [completed ResM March 2016].
– A Play between Interactive Architecture, Social Space and Participation by Chrysa Petrou [completed MRes August 2013].
– The Use of Technology and the Representation of Contemporary Architecture by Jessica Westmacott [completed MRes August 2011].
This is in addition to several PhD internal examinations and chairing of vivas.
– One of my major current management roles is to coordinate all Postgraduate Taught and Research programmes within the School of Art, Design and Architecture across all fields and research groups.
– My vertical design studio unit titled: Ephemeral Worlds ran for 2 consecutive and successful years 2012-14, dealt with alternative practice and design activism. It focused on live projects and participatory design practice.
– I have been leading and teaching on History and Theory for BA and MArch since 2010. Alongside this I initiated and directed the annual Critical Context Journal in the School since 2014 with a published format for this year. In 2014 I have initiated a series of films on critical cultures, urban regeneration, and design and spatial practice in the school.